Day 1: Cusco – Mahuayani
We leave the city of Cusco by private bus, and drive along the Cusco – Puerto Maldonado highway in the direction of Tinki (3800 m) and Mahuayani, arriving by 15:00 approximately. On the way we stop in Urcos, where a beautiful lake is visited with the same name. then they pass Cattca, agriculture and cattle raising community where we appreciate spectacular views of the region, following Ocongate, capital of the district of the same name, Tinqui, stanting starting point for most tours in the area Ausangate, and Mahuayani last (4600 m) after a unit of approximately disc 7h. In the afternoon, we take the opportunity to visit the local market, before dining in our nearby camp.
Day 2: Mahuayani – Sanctuary Qoylloritti
We woke up at 07.30 am and after breakfast, we begin our trek to the shrine of Qoylloritti, situated in a stunning location, surrounded by snowcapped mountains. Gradually, although a hike uphill track along which we will encounter 14 crosses that are venerated on the way, the latter is already in the Sanctuary. Upon arrival, they will be accommodated in the camp and enjoy free time in the afternoon. The display of activities in the Sanctuary is impressive, and the number of pilgrims attending this party year after year. In the afternoon, we can attend Mass at the Shrine, there are two ceremonies, at 06.00 pm or 08.00 pm dinner and camp at the Sanctuary.
Day 3: Sanctuary Qoylloritty
This day is fully spent in the Sanctuary, following the activities of the pilgrims. We attended the “Alacitas” morning markets. This is a curious display in which one buys miniature products such as trucks, homes, livestock, university degrees and others with money that is only valid during the festival of Qoyllur Ritti, according to the wishes of a real one. Legend says anything to accomplish in this game will be a reality thanks to the power of the Lord of Qoylloritty. Mass of the soul in the atrium of the sanctuary (10.00) is the next event followed by mass at 12.00 “pablitos”. The afternoon is reserved for other activities, for all who want to join them: the procession of the Lord of the Tayancani and the Virgin, several dance performances, Mass at the Shrine at 06.00 and singing the Lord 07.00. At night, after dinner, we enjoyed the spectacular “Burning castles”, in which wooden construction with fireworks are burnt, followed by “Dance of the child”. Then the pilgrims climb the mountain covered with snow and glaciers to take down the crosses to the Sanctuary.
Day 4: Sanctuary Qoylloritty – Yanacocha – Tayancani
After an early wake up at 07.00 hours, the bags and prepare for the pilgrimage. We hope and attend the Mass of blessing at 10.00 am and at noon, left by the “24 hour procession” along with the rest of the pilgrims. The procession leaves the Sanctuary and extends to Calvary Machucruz, gaps in Kumukasa and sectors Alqamarina until reaching Yanacocha, where we arrived around 18:00 then sleep 3-4 hours until 1000 hours, when we started walking at night to Tayancani. Night walk.
Day 5: Tayancani – Cusco
After a spectacular night pilgrimage, we wait for the sunrise, the impressive “Sun Greeting” ceremony (07.00) to descend to Tayancani and attend the blessing of sanctuary and village of the same name (08.00). We attended the Mass (10.00 hours) and then continue our trek to a mountain pass (2 hours) and then Ocongate (1h), where we had lunch. In the afternoon, aboard our private transportation back to Cusco (5h), where we expect to arrive around 18:00.
Included / Not included
- Pick up from your hotel in the morning and transfer by bus to Mahuayani, the starting point of the pilgrimage
- English speaking professional guide
- Cook and cooking equipment
- Riders and horses (to carry equipment tents, food and cooking)
- 1 emergency horse every 6 persons
- Tents for guides, cook and horsemen
- Meals 04 Breakfast, 05 Lunch 04 dinners and snacks
- Igloo tents: 2 people in each 4-people-store capacity, to allow greater comfort and a safe
- Maintenance backpacks
- One person per mattress
- A sleeping bag per person
- Dining tent with tables and chairs
- Kitchen Store
- WC Store
- First aid kit including emergency oxygen bottle
- Ocongate private transportation to Cusco, including transfer to your hotel in Cusco
- Breakfast on the first day
- Tea and dinner on the last day
- A sleeping bag per person
DEVE WHAT TO BRING:
- A backpack.
- Rain jacket or poncho (plastic ponchos can be purchased in Cusco)
- Strong footwear, ideal for sport or shoes
- Flashlights and batteries
- Camera, films and batteries (batteries consume more quickly under cold conditions)
- Toilet paper
- Snack: biscuits, energy bats, chocolate, etc.
- No disposable dining and purification tablets (Micropur ie)
- Cash in soles and dollars
- Optional: walking sticks or poles
- Optional services to be hired:
- An extra horse to carry your personal items: A horse can carry up to 20 kg.
- Sleeping bag